FACE was established in 1990 and is based at the Edinburgh Cancer Centre of the Western General Hospital in Edinburgh.
The funds raised through FACE provide the “little things” that make a difference to patients and families who have been affected by cancer. FACE is run entirely by volunteers, who have directly or indirectly been impacted by cancer. There are no paid members of staff and no offices to maintain. This allows FACE to keep administration costs down to a minimum and maximise the funds that are available to provide help.
As well as providing supporting for initiatives within the Edinburgh Cancer Centre, FACE also supports peripheral oncology clinics across Scotland. This includes the Borders and Fife.
The initiatives FACE support are directly linked to suggestions from patients, visitors and nursing staff. These are just some examples of where FACE has provided funds to help.
FACE continues to look to support new initiatives that help create a positive environment for patients undergoing treatment for cancer. To make the time in hospital more comfortable, not just for patients but also their family and friends. Suggestions are most welcome.
FACE is indebted to the kindness of individuals, families, organisations, schools and clubs who have held events to raise funds. Every kind donation is very much appreciated.
- Built and maintained the FACE garden in the grounds of the Western General Hospital.
- Provides funds each year towards a trip for sick children to see Santa Claus in his Arctic home in Lapland.
- Complimentary therapy sessions for patients within the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, the Royal Hospital for Sick Children and the Western General Hospital in Edinburgh.
- Supply of daily newspapers for patients attending cancer clinics at various hospitals.
- Provide flowers etc. for the various clinics to improve the surroundings for the patients.
- Installed a free WiFi service in Ward 11, Edinburgh Cancer Centre
- Provided free turbans or bandana for patients who start to lose hair through chemotherapy treatment
- Created a hessian type bag with a thistle logo on it, for return of the belongings of someone who has sadly passed away
- Simply replaced a window view of a brick wall with image of Princes St Gardens in patients room
- Hung framed pictures of beautiful photographs through corridors in Edinburgh Cancer Centre
- Support group trips for young people affected by cancer.
- Completed refurbishment of the Chapel of Rest within the Western General Hospital, now known as the “Bereavement Suite”.
- Couches for the Mammography Unit and Nuclear Medicine Unit of the hospital.
- Provide funds for the provision of air conditioning in the Mammography unit at the Western General Hospital
Create an Aromatherapy room in the Macmillan centre of the hospital.