FACE was established in 1990 and is based at the Edinburgh Cancer Centre of the Western General Hospital in Edinburgh.
The funds raised through FACE provide the “little things” that make a difference to patients and families who have been affected by cancer. FACE is run entirely by volunteers, who have directly or indirectly been impacted by cancer. There are no paid members of staff and no offices to maintain. This allows FACE to keep administration costs down to a minimum and maximise the funds that are available to provide help.
As well as providing supporting for initiatives within the Edinburgh Cancer Centre, FACE also supports peripheral oncology clinics across Scotland. This includes the Borders and Fife.
FACE support new initiatives that help create a positive environment for patients undergoing treatment for cancer. To make the time in hospital more comfortable, not just for patients but also their family and friends. The initiatives FACE support are directly linked to suggestions from patients, visitors and nursing staff. Here are just some examples of where FACE has provided funds to help and suggestions are most welcome.
- Built the FACE garden in the grounds of the Western General Hospital and provide funds for the maintenance of Amanda’s Garden
- Provide funds each year towards a trip for children & families impacted by cancer to see Santa Claus in his Arctic home in Lapland.
- Help to fund complimentary therapy sessions for patients within the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, the Royal Hospital for Sick Children, and the Western General Hospital in Edinburgh.
- Replaced all the tired chairs and tables in the Oncology Outpatients Department at the Western General Hospital
- Provided special adjustable beds to make patients more comfortable and help staff
- Provided a special shower reclining chair, which helps patients to overcome difficulties and have a shower
- Provided new duvets, curtains, mirrors, and televisions
- Created a hessian type bag with a thistle logo on it, for return of the belongings of someone who has sadly passed away
- Provide complimentary toilet bags for anyone who, in the event of an emergency, needs to stay overnight in hospital
- Provide funds to replenish a ‘wedding box’, make a difference for patients & their families if their special day is in the Western General Hospital
- Provide fresh flowers and a supply of daily newspapers to treatment areas
- Installed a free Wi-Fi service in Ward 11, prior to it being rolled out by NHS Lothian across the Edinburgh Cancer Centre
- Provided a supply of I Pods for patients to listen to music, help them through scans
- Provided free turbans or bandana for patients, when they lost their hair through chemotherapy treatment
- Simply replaced a window view of a brick wall with image of Princes St Gardens in a patient room
- Provided framed pictures of beautiful photographs for wards across the Edinburgh Cancer Centre
- Supported group trips for young people affected by cancer, arranged a day course to help young people cope when a parent had received a terminal diagnosis
- Completed refurbishment of the Chapel of Rest within the Western General Hospital, now known as the “Bereavement Suite”.
- Provided couches for the Mammography Unit and Nuclear Medicine Unit
- Provided funds for the provision of air conditioning in the Mammography unit
- Created an Aromatherapy room in the Macmillan centre of the hospital